QUR314 Quran Recitation and Memorization 4
Mastering the characteristics of letters (Sifaat) will be the focus of this course. Rules of stopping in and beginning of recitation, Humzatul-Wasl, and some other minor topics will be covered as well.
Reviewing Juza’ (Amma) جزء عمّ for non-Arabic speakers, and (Amma), (Tabarak) and (Kad Samia’) جزء عمّ ، تبارك، وقد سمعfor Arabic speakers is what is memorization requirement for this course.
Course Code: QUR314
Credit hours: 2
- Students will be able to comprehend and master the Tajweed rules learned in QUR313.
- Students will learn new rules of Tajweed and master their application.
- Students will identify different characteristics of letters and successfully observe these characteristics during recitation.
a. Mastering the characteristics of letters (Sifaat)
b. Rules of stopping in and beginning of recitation
d. Breathless Pause
e. Stopping on the Ends of Words
f. Female Ha’ Written with a Taa’
- Students will properly recite the Quran in a way that retains the correct meaning and the general rules of phonics.
- Students will review Juza’ (Amma) جزء عمّ for non-Arabic speakers, and (Amma), (Tabarak) and (Qad Samia’) جزء عمّ ، تبارك، وقد سمع for Arabic speakers.
- Characteristics of the Arabic Letters.
- Grammar (brief intro).
- Hamzah Al-Wasl.
- Stopping and beginning the recitation.
- Breathless Pause.
- Stopping on the Ends of Words.
- Female Ha’ Written with a Taa’.
- Words written separately and together.
- Special words for Hafs ‘an ‘Aasim min Tareeq Ash-Shatibiyyah.
- Memorizing Juza’ (Amma) جزء عمّ for non-Arabic speakers.
- Memorizing (Amma), (Tabarak) and (Kad Samia’) جزء عمّ ، تبارك، وقد سمعfor the Arabic-speakers.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Participation: 20% (attending lectures)
- Oral exam: 70%
- Final exam: 10%
Guideline for Research Paper (If Applicable):
As part of the course, you are required to submit a research paper. The topic chosen must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor. The paper must meet the following requirements:
- At least ten (10) double-spaced pages (not including the introduction and conclusion).
- 1 inch margins.
- 12 pt size (Times New Roman).
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference.
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs.
- When quoting Hadith, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly mentioned.
- Post all your questions related to the course to the (Online Test) forum.
- If sending emails directly to the lecturer, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Lecturer to within specified office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from.
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Weekly materials and graded assignments will be posted onto the site by Monday – in sha Allah.