HAD302 Hadeeth Sciences
This course covers the main principles needed to deal with the Hadeeth literature and methodology. The historical background surrounds the development of this science are taken into account and the methodology of this science that gradually appeared is rendered against its historical environment along with an analysis of its content. The various classification schemes are discussed and how the many developments of the science, although possibly seen independent of each other, are interconnected accumulating finally into a comprehensive critical appreciation
of Islamic sources.
Course Code: HAD302
Credit hours: 3
- Students will be able to verbally state the meaning of hadith, its concept, and give proofs of its authority.
- Students will be able to verbally state the authority and position of the Prophet (peace be upon him) as stated in the Quran, citing references and examples.
- Students will be able to write an essay on the ways the Prophet taught his Sunnah, the various methods of learning, how ahadeeth were recorded and how they were transmitted and carried from the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him) until now.
- Students will be able to verbally list the Sahaba who were instrumental in carrying memorizing and carrying ahadeeth.
- Students will be able to explain in a presentation, the concept of Isnad, its conditions, hadeeth terminology related to isnad, its role in the preservation of hadeeth and its impact on the classification of hadeeth.
- Students will be able to summarize in writing, the various rules used by the Hadeeth scholars for grading Hadeeth according to their reliability.
- Students will be able to summarize in writing, the history and methodology of hadith criticism, namely its sources and resolutions used
- Students will be able to orally state the causes of Hadeeth fabrication and its means of elimination.
- Definition of Hadeeth, its concept, and authority.
- Carrying of the Hadeeth knowledge and recording it.
- Isnaad System (chain of transmitters).
- Hadeeth Criticism.
- Fabrication of Hadeeth.
- Early Hadeeth Collections.
Studies in Hadeeth Methodology and Literature By Dr. Mohamad Azami
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Participation: 40% (10 assignments, 4% each)
- Oral exam: 20%
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Research paper: 20%
- Final exam: 10%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
As part of the course, you are required to submit a research paper. The topic chosen must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.The paper must meet the following requirements:
- At least ten (10) double-spaced pages (not including the introduction and conclusion)
- 1 inch margins
- 12 pt size (Times New Roman)
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadith, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
- Post all your questions related to the course to the (Online Test) forum.
- If sending emails directly to the lecturer, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Lecturer to within specified office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Weekly materials and graded assignments will be posted onto the site by Monday – in sha Allah.