GEN203 Research Methodology
This course provides the skills needed to write an effective research paper in MLA and APA style. Students will employ online sources, define various research topics, search, use, evaluate and retrieve and cite information. The course will incorporate a variety of methodologies including lecture, discussion, research papers, and test questions
Course Code: GEN203
Credit hours: 3
- Students will be able to distinguish between quantitative and qualitative theories and recognize examples of each.
- Students will be able to define the following key terms: basic research, applied research, descriptive research.
- Students will be able to understand the components of a research paper.
- Students will be able to write a research papers using either MLA or APA format.
Research and the Research Problem
Additional on-line Readings:
The links below are provided as a convenience for the students; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Al-Huda University of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Al-Huda University has no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.
Grading and Evaluation:
- Minimum passing grade 70%
- Participation: 40% (10 assignments, 4% each)
- Mid-Term exam: 10%
- Research paper: 40%
- Final exam: 10%
Guidelines for Research Paper:
As part of the course, you are required to submit a research paper. The topic chosen must be relevant to the course and approved by the Instructor.The paper must meet the following requirements:
- At least ten (10) double-spaced pages (not including the introduction and conclusion)
- 1 inch margins
- 12 pt size (Times New Roman)
- Follow the standard research paper structure with a Table of Contents, Abstract or Executive Summary, Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion, List of Reference
- The Main Body should be organized into logical chapters and paragraphs
- When quoting Hadith, a notation indicating its authenticity must be clearly
- Post all your questions related to the course to the (Online Test) forum.
- If sending emails directly to the lecturer, please include appropriate label in the subject line (Action Required/Info/Admin) and allow up to 3 working days for reply.
- Limit telephone communication with the Lecturer to within specified office hours only.
- When leaving a voicemail, please clearly state your name, course code, and contact number.
Log in Instructions:
To attend live – online lectures (on their scheduled time):
Access the course on-line by logging into Online School, accessible from
You will need a user name and password to:
- View the recorded lectures if you missed the live online ones.
- Interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Upload and submit your assignments, research papers, and exams.
- View your grades.
- All attempt must be made to submit assignments by the agreed due dates. Late submissions will be penalized.
- Weekly materials and graded assignments will be posted onto the site by Monday – in sha Allah.